This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Mamavation Monday  

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mamavation Sistahood

Wow! It's been three years since I've been exposed to Leah Segedie and Mamavation - sitting on the sidelines, knowing I needed to lose weight, to get healthier. Knowing that I wanted to do more - HAD to do more.

Today, I'm making my first Mamavation Monday post. This is my pledge to be a part of the Mamavation Sistahood.

The funny part of this is that I've lost about 60 lbs. on my own in the past year. A year ago, I was in a size 22 and weighed over 250 lbs. Talk about embarrassing!

From the age of 14, through having 3 children, up until 2-3 years ago, I was a size 14. I was happy with that, even though I wasn't the healthiest, but I knew I've always been bigger and if I was the same size through having children, I was happy with that. Ultimately, I'd love to be in a size 10/12. Even a size 8 would be nice - but then I think I would be too skinny.

I put on the weight after I had my gallbladder taken out and was out of work for almost a year. Luckily, since I've been back to work, I started losing weight again. I have also changed the items I buy at the grocery store, the food I cook, and the frequency of my meals. I eat more fresh produce and protein, and I limit my red meat intake. I used to never eat breakfast, and now I make sure I have something to eat in the morning - even if it's a cup of yogurt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's Mamavation Monday topic is to discuss how Type 2 Diabetes has touched my life. Personally, I have only had friends who have Type 2 Diabetes, but being overweight, I do think about Diabetes, and knowing that it is something I do not want to have in my life - now or later.

I had a roommate a few years back, and he had Type 2 Diabetes. We worked together, and once we started living together, I found myself watching what he ate at lunch and at home. In general, since he was Indian, he ate very well. He was a vegetarian, due to his religious beliefs, but sometimes, he would eat an apple or a cookie, and those items could make his blood sugar rise. Every evening, I would ask him what his blood sugar was. I worried, and was concerned that one day I would have to call 911 for him.

Luckily, that never happened, and even though I don't speak to him anymore, I think of him often and wonder how he is doing.

How has Type 2 Diabetes affected you?

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Better’n Eggs and I’m writing this to be entered into a giveaway hosted by Mamavation – a community dedicated to obesity prevention & weight loss for women.


Bookmark and Share
Email this post


1 comments: to “ Mamavation Monday

  • Wendy
    November 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

    Good for you for making healthier food choices! We've been doing it for a while now, too, and its FINALLY becoming habit!
    Welcome to the Sistahood! mamavation is a great place to be!

Swagbucks Search & Win!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd