This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

On dreams... and knowing when to let go  

Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm all about dreams and having goals and working to attain them. I'm probably one of the most ambitious people you'll ever meet.

I'm also a realist.

I've always had dreams - who hasn't!? Mine ranged from being a model to an actress to going to Harvard Law School. Then life veered off track for me and I lost sight of what I wanted to do. I chose to be lazy and hang out instead of working hard for what I wanted.

I paid for that mistake, too, my friend.

When I decided to move into a shelter about 11 years ago, one thing they made all of us do when we first moved in was to make a timeline of our lives.

Let me tell you - that was One. Of. The. HARDEST. Things. I. Have. EVER done. Even to this day.

We were to start from as early as we could remember, and mark major life events down on this timeline. Good and bad.

The point of this timeline is to see why we were in the situation we were in, and what happened to get us there.

Then we made goals.

We started with 3 long-term goals and 3 short-term goals. Every time we accomplished a goal, we cross it off of our list and added a new one.
I accomplished my first goal within 3 months - I got my GED. I then began college at our local community college.

Over the years, I have momentarily lost sight of my goals and veered off track, or my goals have changed, but the point of this post - you will soon see.

Part of being an adult is knowing what goals are attainable, and which ones are not. I came to a realization this week, and I had to say no to something I really wanted to do.

I was going to go to Type-A Mom Conference, but since I just started a job about a month ago, and I couldn't secure any sponsors, I had to cancel my trip. I'm devastated but my children still need school clothes, I need new tires on my car, and I'm trying to move soon. Realistically, I can't afford the trip and I am an adult - I can't do everything.

Type-A Mom just isn't coming to fruition for me this year.

There's always next year.


So for now, I'll have to watch Twitter for #typeamom posts on Twitter and dream about meeting these girls:

  • Kelby, who is the Maven of the conference (and many other things! YOU GO GIRL!)
  • Lisa, whose writings make me laugh regularly and sometimes even make me cry!
  • Arianne, who I just want to hug and cry with just for a second
  • and most definitely, my roomie whom I had to hang out to dry with my cancellation, my online BFF, Andrea
If you go, take TONS of pics for me and have a drink (or two!) for me.

Bookmark and Share
Email this post

6 comments: to “ On dreams... and knowing when to let go

  • Andrea H
    September 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

    Angie I am SO sad that we won't get to finally meet IRL. The conference just won't be the same without you. I will take lots of photos and be sure to have a drink (or two) with you in mind! ((hugs))

  • Arianne
    September 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

    Everything in its season. You'll not regret this decision, me thinks.


  • Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting
    September 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

    Oh no! I'm so sorry you can't go! :( I am proud of you, though, for realizing you couldn't doing it and not forcing the issue. Did you sell your ticket? I hope so. Let's start working on the goal to get you there for next year, okay? :) Let me know how I can help :) *huge hugs*

    Thank you for your sweet compliments, I truly appreciate them <3

  • Brandy
    September 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

    I understand this post more than you probably know! It's hard to make these types of decisions but it happens and there is always next year hun! ((HUGS))

  • Michelle
    September 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

    That is so exciting that you achieved your goal of getting a GED. One day my adult son is going to have to face life and hopefully the first thing he does is get a GED. It's gonna take some tough love on my part.

  • Nichol
    September 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

    You did the right thing though. This is the same reason I haven't been to any conferences, to many other things I have to pay for. You will meet these amazing women one day.

Swagbucks Search & Win!


Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd