This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In an effort to do more personal blogging here, I have a story I want to share with you today.

I am in no means a certified Microsoft Systems Engineer - but someday I hope to be. That being said, I'm pretty knowledgeable in alot of things on the computer. I could build a computer if I wanted to.

In my last 3 jobs, in the last 9 years, I've often been called on for many computer-related tasks - running reports in databases, training personnel on a certain database, designing databases, to even more simple tasks like mapping network drives and printers.

I enjoy computers and I always have. I can sit on the pc all day at work and then go home and still sit on the pc. I love computers and technology!

Where I work I'm one of three women. The rest of them are men - all 42 of them. I'm often called upon for computer-related tasks here and it boggles my mind that people don't know some of the things you think they should if they're using a computer.

I don't mean to be mean in this post so please don't take it this way but I'm going to share this story about someone that I work with.


Very often, a certain person that I work with will call me back to his "office" to help him with something on the computer, whether it's opening an email, finding an email, or helping with training.

Recently, we had a training course that everyone had to take, and this person in particular couldn't find the URL where to go back to the other training sessions, after he and his employees took one leg of the training.

I went back to help him and I asked him to open Internet Explorer. He sat there. I pointed to the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and said, "Click on this."


"Double-click," I said.

Then I said, "Click in the address bar."

More silence and confusion on the behalf of my co-worker.

I pointed to the screen, to the address bar, and said, "Click there, in the address bar."

I began to type the URL to the training.

Now I think it's funny because I LIVE it quite often. And, I think if you were to see it, you would think it's funny too.

Often times while helping this person, I'll say "Click there", and most people know it's a double-click, not just a CLICK, but not him.


Or sometimes I'll even get a right click out of the deal.

It's so funny to me that people who have computers at work don't really have a clue how to use one.

*Bangs head on wall*

Bookmark and Share
Email this post

8 comments: to “ Click

  • Carolyn G
    January 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

    It is amazing. I remember at my last job, they hired us an assisstant. Unfortunately, said assistant had no idea how to use the computer. GO figure.

  • Tesa
    January 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

    That just has to be frustrating. I used to sit next to a guy who whenever his computer slowed down for a minute he would go crazy clicking all over the screen. Of course, this made it worse and just locked everything up. He never had the patience to just wait a couple of seconds to see if it would right itself. He always managed to make it worse.

  • Annabelle
    January 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

    Yeah, that's funny! My husband used to be Tech support for a certain program and a company and would tell me how some people didn't even know how to open up email and would call him (now he wasn't Tech support for their email program, he was tech support for a graphic type of program). Or the time his mom tried doing something on the computer and he was telling her over the phone how to do it and she just said, well you'll have to fix it when you come home next (yeah, it's not a fix, it's she doesn't know what she's doing!) LOL He wants to tell some of those people to pack the computer back up, take it back to the store and tell the store people that "I'm not smart enough to have this computer" LOL

  • Dwalline
    January 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

    This reminds me of all the times my bfs mom has called me for help.

    The best was she signed herself up for ebay and pay pal all the by herself and told me very excitedly how she won an auction for digital scrapbooking backgrounds. It took me forever to explain that digital backgrounds were for online scrapbooks that she wasn't going to get a bunch of paper mailed to her. She kept saying that it didnt say they were for online scrapbooks and i kept explaining how they did because it said they were digital pages.

  • TheEclecticElement
    January 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

    I'm the same way when it comes to technology-When someone get's a new phone or computer, I'm ALL over it seeing what it does, what it contains, what it's capable of...I call it 'exporing.' Lol

    When my parents ask me a simple question about the computer that's like common knowledge, I just stare at them and think to myself, "Seriously"?

    But then I have to realize they aren't in the same know that I am when it comes to techy stuff.

  • Sophia's Mom
    January 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

    LOL! I hear you!!! I feel like the 'tech guy' in my office. Every three seconds there is a question too stupid to even ask... but it is asked, and I must answer it!

  • Cascia
    January 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

    That is funny! He must not use the computer that often.

  • ~*~ Melissa ~*~
    January 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

    That is pretty funny! I hate trying to teach someone that doesn't have a clue too! When I was a Security Guard, we worked in pairs, and I always had to do the computer work while working with this one guy.

Swagbucks Search & Win!


Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd