Tuesday, December 1, 2009
For young people, computers are fun and entertaining, a normal and regular part of their lives. But for older adults, who didn’t grow up with computers, they can be daunting and frustrating. Many struggle with technology. They feel out of place and disconnected because everyone else seems to understand it. And they hesitate to ask for help because they don’t want to be a bother.
In October 2009 comes a new telephone service specifically designed for older adults – much like roadside assistance, but for your computer.
The Floh Club helps seniors feel enabled and stay connected with family, friends and the world at large. With affordable subscription plans, and the comfort of North American-based experts, The Floh Club makes technology flow.
The inspiration and face of The Floh Club is none other than “America’s Favorite Mom,” Florence Henderson. Broadway ingénue, first woman to host “The Tonight Show,” TV star, recording artist, author and humanitarian, Henderson may be best-known as Carol Brady on the classic comedy series “The Brady Bunch.” She is also one of the most trusted spokespeople in America: appearing in commercial campaigns for Oldsmobile, Polident, Wesson Oil and other brands. Most recently, she helped television viewers overcome their fears and get ready for the analog-to-digital conversion.
“I know how intimidating technology can be, especially for older adults, so I created The Floh Club to help. It’s easy and convenient – and it’s just a phone call!” offers Henderson, herself a technology buff who enjoys answering fan questions on her own website.
With The Floh Club, highly trained North American experts can guide members through the process of setting up, configuring and using hardware, and deal with a broad range of different software issues. Experts can either guide members or can safely and securely take control of their computers remotely. Available seven days a week between 8 a.m. and 2 a.m. Eastern Standard Time, the service offers a broad range of services including:
* Stay Connected –Understand how to use video conferencing, instant messenger, and the power of social networks to connect with your kids and grandkids
* Education – Learn how to get the most from your PC, from simple tasks like email to making purchases online safely
* PC Support – Issues such as slow/poor system performance, networking, error messages, virus/spyware removal, security and data backup
* Support for Connected Devices – Includes wireless networks, printers, webcams/video conferencing and other peripherals
* Setup and Training for New Devices – Printers, digital cameras, MP3 players and other peripherals
The Floh Club offers multiple options with satisfaction guaranteed: annual subscription ($250/year), three-month subscription ($75/month) and one-time empowerment service ($50 flat, covering e-mail, video conferencing, digital photography, Facebook, etc.). Additional Floh Club products include tune-up and protect which includes anti-virus ($60 flat). Covering one computer per subscription, each plan also includes a monthly newsletter from Florence Henderson discussing technology for older adults.
Information about The Floh Club can be found on the website, www.flohclub.com, where potential members can purchase the service online for themselves or others, read Frequently Asked Questions, and read a technology blog written by Henderson and partner Max Drucker. The website will evolve into a resource for tech issues, articles by experts, weekly tips and video tutorials by Florence Henderson, social networking, and branded and recommended products. The Floh Club is also forging relationships with major retailers, where gift cards might be purchased by seniors as well as their children, grandchildren and others.
One winner will win a 3-month complimentary membership, valued at $75!
To enter, tell me who you'd like to win this for - either for yourself or to gift to an older relative. (Required entry)
1. Blog about this giveaway, with a link back here.
2. Add my Holiday Hoopla Button to your blog (code in the left sidebar). Be sure to leave me a link to where I can find the button.
3. Follow my blog using Google/Blogger.
4. Subscribe to my blog using Email or RSS.
5. Follow me on Twitter (@pricousins). Leave your Twitter Username.
6. Tweet about this giveaway (easily done with the Tweetmeme button at the top of this post or with the "Share" buttons below), then come back here and leave me a comment with the Direct URL to the tweet. (once daily)
7. Add my "A Simple Kinda Life" (code in left sidebar) button to your blog and leave me a link to where you put it.
Remember - if you added the Holiday Hoopla button to your blog prior to today, add THREE Comments that say "Early button post!"
Be sure to leave your email address in your comment, if your profile does not contain an email address!
Fine print: This giveaway will end on 12/31/09 at midnight EST. Winner will be announced in a new post and contacted via email. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email or they will forfeit their prize and a new winner will be chosen!
Disclaimer: I was not sent the product named above to review, nor was I compensated in any way to do this post.