This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Angel Food Ministries: frugal shopping at its best  

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

In these current times of economic uncertainty, many families are couponing and looking for ways to cut their budgets.

One way is to utilize various services around you, including churches and food banks.

I'm pretty resourceful - having been a woman on welfare years ago. I learned the ins and outs on how to provide for my family while still maintaining my sense of pride.

I had partaken in Angel Food Ministries' service previously, but not like I should.

I'll tell you right now that I'm going to start doing it again.

Here's why:

You get enough food to feed a family of 4 for approximately a week for just $30. View January's menu here. There are even Senior meals and a fruit and vegetable menu in addition to the regular menu.

As a single mom, I need all of the help I can get!

You can purchase the food with cash, Food Stamps, and money orders, and you can even mail in your payment.

You can even purchase online, if you have a host site close to you. I have eleven host sites near me, so it's no chore to find my "favorite" one and order my food for pick up.

Purchasing the food online and just showing up to pick it up later in the month is incredibly convenient for me. The prices can't be beat and I'm all about shopping on the internet!

The schedule for food pick up depends on your local area and your host site. Be sure to visit Angel Food Ministries for this information.

I'm off to place my order for January!

Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way for this post. I simply wanted to share the goodness that is Angel Food Ministries with my readers.





Bookmark and Share
Email this post


3 comments: to “ Angel Food Ministries: frugal shopping at its best

  • AStarrA
    December 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

    Thank you for posting about this!!!!

  • As They Grow Up
    December 31, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

    This really is a wonderful program. We used to participate when there was one near us and were always very pleased

  • LAR1975
    January 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

    Hi! I've been busy but wanted to briefly comment on Angie's post about AFM.

    1. First, I want to echo the thanks for alerting us to Angel Food Ministries. I couldn't believe there are some near me in rural Illinois.
    2. Angie, I admire and commend you for the admission that you received public aid. This is something I am struggling with now. Society does not always look kindly on we people receiving such aid and it sometimes still embarrasses me to say that I receive it. So, for someone with a prominent and well-respected blog to do so is very cool indeed! : )
    3. I think it might make an interesting story, perhaps for your Baltimore Examiner column, to look at farming co-ops (where you weekly buy a certain amount of foods from farmers; a lot of times, its veggies & fruits and organic meats or eggs) and/or farmer's markets or services that allow you to "rent" garden space to grow fruits & vegetables versus services such as AFM's. I looked at the AFM stuff and there are some very good things about it, but I would like to see even more, and more variety, fruits and vegs. They feature a lot of meat, which doesn't work for every diet (my husband has high cholesterol)--and meat is too expensive right now. This from a person who used to NEVER eat a vegetable unless it was a carrot in beef stew or the occasional potato. If I can eat more vegetables, everyone can!

    Thanks again for sharing, Angie.

    Have a great day, everyone!
    Leigh

Swagbucks Search & Win!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd