This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

With Our Busy Schedules, What Are Your 3 Valid Tips for Getting Dinner Ready in a Flash?  

Sunday, October 4, 2009

This is a contest entry to win a Samsung French Door Refrigerator (RFG297AARS) brought to us by Samsung and TwitterMoms. (Click the link to see how to enter to win!)

With Our Busy Schedules, What Are Your 3 Valid Tips for Getting Dinner Ready in a Flash?

Here are my tips:

1. Plan your menu weekly using sales and coupons to save and know what you're serving throughout the week.

I'm a working, single mom who also has football practice 3 nights a week and a game a week. I plan my meals using my sales fliers for the grocery stores in the area, and use coupons to go along with those sales. I subscribe to quite a few blogs who share sales for various stores, and that aids me in menu planning also.

2. Use a crockpot.

I love my crockpot, even though it is a Hand-me-down and it's old, it still works and serves it's purpose. Anytime I'm looking for a recipe, I search on Google for Crock Pot Recipes. This way, I can put it in when I leave for work in the morning, and by the time I get home, dinner is cooked and ready to be served!

3. Keep in Simple Stupid (KISS) method.

For those nights when we have football practice, I choose easy meals that are quick, like chicken nuggets and fries or mac n cheese and hot dogs. Something quick and simple that we all can eat in a hurry. I also make sure that we eat our leftovers. Soups and cereals are other favorite dinners in our home!

How do you get dinner ready in a flash?

Bookmark and Share
Email this post

4 comments: to “ With Our Busy Schedules, What Are Your 3 Valid Tips for Getting Dinner Ready in a Flash?

  • Liberty
    October 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

    I agree with planning ahead!! If I actually write out a plan, I stick to it. If I don't, it's Chick-Fila or Pizza too many nights in the week.

  • DG
    October 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

    crockpots are great!

  • Michele
    October 5, 2009 at 2:39 AM  

    I also plan my meals ahead of time and use a crock pot. Here are three more of mine:

    1) Make Everything You Can Ahead of Time: On Sundays I make two or three meals plus a breakfast treat (muffins, sweet breads, cinnamon rolls, etc.) I put them all in the freezer but only rotate one of the meals into the weekly menu. The other meal is for when life happens and the meal you planned to make at 5:00 doesn't happen because you don't get home until 6:00. Then it's a frozen meal for us.

    2) Easy Side Dishes! I love one-pot meals like soup and stews, but I know I've got to balance the meal with a side dish. I buy a huge bag of fresh spinach and will use it for spinach salads or place a chicken breast (cooked many different ways) on top of it instead of rice or will saute it in less than one minute with a bit of olive oil and garlic. I also buy a huge bag of frozen mixed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots and can cook them different ways--microwave if I'm in a big hurry, or with a little butter and lemon juice, or with cheddar cheese melted on top.

    3) Keep It Simple! I don't even plan to make anything complicated or new during a busy week or on days that are always busy. I save my "experiments" for the weekend. I love to cook, but some of the most flavorful recipes have just a few ingredients and can be thrown together in minutes. I keep that in mind when creating my meal plan.

    4) (Okay, more than three here! LOL) I also like unconventional meals. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner--eggs, roasted potatoes, and sliced tomatoes cook really fast. Instead of making a traditional salad, I'll slice of the vegetables for dipping and we'll eat it that way with cheese and bread--that's good for when everyone says they're not really hungry so you can encourage them to "nibble" at their dinner.

  • Nichol
    October 6, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

    Looks like the Crock-Pot is everyone's favorite!

Swagbucks Search & Win!


Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd