This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Kids Being Spoiled By Grandparents  

Saturday, July 18, 2009

I was never really spoiled by my grandparents. My mom's parents were my favorites but they never spoiled my brothers and I. My father's parents, we always seemed to be around them more, but they were more of the disciplinarian type of grandparents.

Matter of fact, thinking back, I didn't really get spoiled by anyone.

I'm not too close to my adoptive family and my birth family lives too far away to spoil my kids, so my kids don't really get that whole spoiled by Grandma or Grandpa thing.

We went to visit my adoptive family on the 4th of July and my daughter wanted to eat some junk instead of the huge amount of food my mother had prepared. My daughter has ADHD and is rambunctious enough - so I was not feeling her having anything with loads of sugar.

My mom and dad overheard me tell her no to whatever it was and even though I don't remember exactly what they said, it was something along the lines that it was okay for her to have it, it was a holiday, etc.

At first I was a little taken aback because as kids, we never had soda or tea and Mom limited our sugar intake very strictly, in my opinion. So I thought, WTF?!, but didn't say it, of course, and politely told them that she bounces off of the walls enough and I didn't really need her to be keeping me up all night and if they wanted her to have it, I could leave her there for the night.

That of course didn't work, as my brother and his family was staying there during their visit from Colorado! Needless to say, my word stuck and that was that.

It's funny how things change when your parents become the grandparents, isn't it? It's like a total Switcheroo!

Have you experienced this with your kids and your parents? How did you handle the situation?

Bookmark and Share
Email this post

2 comments: to “ Kids Being Spoiled By Grandparents

  • TheTinyJEWELBox
    July 18, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

    I overheard someone recently say, "grandparents and grandkids get along so well because they have a common enemy." i think it's

  • TheEclecticElement
    July 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

    Unfortunately, I never met my grandparents on my mum's side, but my grandparents on my dad's side spoiled me and my sister rotten! Those were good times...But I think that's the way life should be-Parents are the one's to be the 'bad guys' and grandparents can spoil their grandkids all they want.
    My aunt recently became a grandma and she said something to the degree of 'I can spoil him all I want because at the end of the day, he goes home to his parents.' Lol

Swagbucks Search & Win!


Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd