Saturday, April 18, 2009
My children and I all suffer from seasonal allergies. I cringe thinking about how the next few weeks will be for all of us in my household. We've had sooo much rain in recent weeks, and it's going to speed up the growing season here in Maryland. Flowers are blooming, but so far only the Cherry Blossoms are out on the trees. All of the trees look so desolate!
Does anyone in your family have allergies? Do your children? How and when did you know it was allergies and not a cold? I still have a hard time deciphering!
Here's some tips I want to share with you:
Indoor and outdoor allergy tips:
* Use washable throw rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting where possible
* Vacuum once or twice weekly
* Keep pets out of bedrooms and wash and groom them regularly
* Use an air purifier with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter
For outdoor allergies:
* Keep the windows closed.
* Use the clothes dryer — pollen and mold collects on laundry hung outside
* Stay indoors when pollen count, wind or humidity is high.
* Limit the time your kids are outside during peak pollen hours (early morning)
Please share your tips also!