This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Maryland Alcohol Consumers - This Smoker Has No Pity  

Monday, March 16, 2009

I just saw a piece on my local Fox news that made me pick up my mobile phone to hurry and write this post.

Maryland lawmakers are talking about raising the alcohol tax. Big whoop. it hasn't been raised since Eisenhower was in office!

I'm a smoker. I started out paying about $2 per pack, about 14 years ago. Now I pay (sometimes $5.50) a pack. Whose fault? MINE!

I don't care if they tax liquor more. Would you like to know why? I'm sure if you did the comparison, cirrhosis and cancers caused by smoking are probably equally as deadly.

Another reason? Some people can't hold their alcohol. I don't drink often (literally, a couple of times a year) and for good reason: drama! Alcohol brings the drama!

How about one more reason? Let's check out some more statistics to find out how many Domestic Abuse victims are at the hands of their alcoholic partners. (Been there, done that.)

So I say raise the liquor tax. Heck, it's been 51 YEARS! (How's that for discrimination smokers?) Cardin, Mikulski, hell, I'll even address the Governor on this one! Governor O'Malley, tax the HECK out of the drinkers like you have done us smokers! I vote yes!

Maybe it will help with our HUGE deficit! Balance those books! and leave smokers alone for once

To be continued...

Bookmark and Share
Email this post

5 comments: to “ Maryland Alcohol Consumers - This Smoker Has No Pity

  • K
    March 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

    I hadn't hear this one yet.

    I'm not a smoker, but I can see your point.

    And yes, alchohol does bring the drama. I think I have about 10 drinks a year.

  • 3 Bay B Chicks
    March 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

    Loved this post. Your commentary on local politics is hilarious.

    Although I don't smoke, I have often been amazed at the taxes levied on cigarettes. Seriously. Isn't it somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70%?

    Bring on the alcohol tax!


  • Shawna Bates
    March 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

    Amen to that!!!

  • Bobbie
    March 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

    Thank you for this post! My Mom and I both are smokers and this is about one of the only pleasures we have left. We are both on SS and retired, she being 84 and I'm 65 so this is getting really hard on us. Mom was in a Nursing Home and I ended up bringing her home with my husband and because the home initiated a ban on smoking and although not the only reason it was a big one. I can't even begin to tell you just how cruel this is to the aging folks in these homes. Many have no one to advocate for them and all they had to look forward to was the 5 or 7 cigarettes a day they were allowed, not they are in essence being tortured even further. I'm looking into rolling machines and loose tobacco as our limited income is taking a big hit from all these taxes. I guess no one has thought of the fact that if we smokers stopped paying all these taxes then the non smokers would have to take up the slack! I would guess the raising of the liquor tax is to make up for lost revenue of the smokers who have had to quit.

  • Cher
    March 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

    Love it! So true!

Swagbucks Search & Win!


Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd