This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Venting...  

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Okay... if you know me and have stopped by to read my blog, or if you just ran across my blog, please note that I am not asking for help or for sympathy! I just need to get some things off of my chest!

Here it is, December 4th. 21 days until Christmas. Now I know that Christmas is about Jesus & His birth, not the commercial holiday it is now.
But, since I am a single mom of 3 (even though one does not live with me), how do u tell them that they don't need any gifts?

Life in my household is extremely difficult right now. I have no money for anything right now, not money to pay most of my bills or even put food on the table, let alone gifts.

A lot of this I blame on the government. The cost of gas/electric (including petroleum) is kicking my butt! Here in Maryland, our electric was deregulated back in the 90s but price increases were capped until recently. We who live here have seen our electric bills rise by 75%! That means for those of us who used to pay $150 a month are now paying substantially more. My electric bill typically runs from $300-400 anymore, and most of the day no one is in my house! And my computer is dead so even that is not sucking up the electricity.

In the past three weeks I have had to put $900 (approximately) into my vehicle, because I need it to get back & forth to work.
And guess what?! I still have about $300 in repairs that I need to do to my car!

I am behind on my rent, my electric, and my house phone got turned off today. I have no food in the house.

I will utilize the resources that are available to me, hopefully they can help.

I really need to win a computer! My goal is to offset my income with doing a little bit of work here at home when I am able. Plus I enjoy technology and love computers! I currently review products for a few sites, as well as take surveys and do paid emails, but so far, they don't amount to much. I hope to join the Family Review Network soon - I applied for that 2 days ago. (Pray I get picked please!)

I would also love to guest blog and be a moderator, since I love to write! (That journalism class in High School WILL pay off - I am determined in this!)

Part of the reason my financial situation is so bad is that I pay $600 out of my checks each month for medical insurance. My company picked some really crappy stuff and they don't put much into it. I also pay a couple hundred a month for Child Support for the child who does not live with me. I just contacted my local DSS to talk to them about letting me cancel this policy due to the impact it is having on my finances. I can get it cheaper from an individual rep! I checked into it last year but never heard back from DSS.

Oh and get this - I have 3 kids and only get support for ONE! And even that is "whenever"... he is currently in arrears by $1400, give or take. But if it were me, they'd lock me up!!!

So yeah... this is a very rough time for us this year. It always is. I don't even want to put up the tree but I feel bad that I didn't last year, so I will this year.

So for now I keep praying to do the following:
1 - win as many gifts as possible
2 - win a pc
3 - let the local radio station that is helping people with child support arrears help me out! (Hint hint 92Q - 92.3 WERQ Baltimore & the Rickey Smiley show!)
4 - pray, pray, pray
5 - hope my children "understand".

Thanks for listening... everyone needs a shoulder to cry on!

Angie

Bookmark and Share
Email this post


4 comments: to “ Venting...

  • Faith
    December 5, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

    Wow, $600 a month for insurance, that is CRAZY! Have you heard of Angel Food Ministries? It's a great way to save money on your grocery bill. I don't know if they have one in your area but it's worth checking out. http://www.angelfoodministries.com I hope things get better for you and your family, Happy Holidays.

  • TA Carbone
    December 8, 2008 at 7:28 AM  

    Angie I just read this post and can tell you I have been in your shoes and I can say I am still in them. Since I am disable as I have Stage 4 colon cancer and suffer from depression, there were times when I got my monthly check I didn't have enough for food. 2 weeks before my next check would arrive I would be eating jelly and bread. My family still expected the requirement gifts for birthday and Christmas and now that they are hurting they want to cut back, I tell them now they know what I have been going through for the last 8 years. My son no longer lives at home as he is 29 and has his own family but his father is in arrears with child support of over 14 thousand dollars. We live in 2 different states so there is nothing neither state said they can do. I did the best I could and my son had to accept it and understood completely as I always told him what was going on. The only thing you can do with your children is explain what is going on and hope they understand

    TA
    http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com

  • Ginny
    December 8, 2008 at 8:56 AM  

    I'm in the same boat! I've won some prizes. I've also got some amazon gc's from Mom Central. Other then that, we aren't doing any other presents. It is very hard with the kids. My 11 year old says she understands, but she keeps asking for things. My 7 year old totally does not understand. I'm not sure what we are going to do. Take care!

  • mannequin
    December 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

    Gosh, it is really getting scary; people are falling into financial arrears all over the place.
    We got groceries the other day for three people for one week; same things basically we bought about 10 days before and it was a hundred dollars more.
    I know how hard it is and I know that doesn't make it easier. You're going to have to work like crazy and pray like crazy. I'm so sorry that it's so hard for you and the kids right now. Surely it will get better.

Swagbucks Search & Win!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd