This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox. If you are having problems viewing this site, please update your browser.

Update on sick kids and sharing some cookie recipes  

Monday, December 22, 2008

Yup... just as I thought, the kids are too sick to go to school today. I woke them up at 5 am and felt their foreheads and asked how they felt. My son's face is swollen (mostly his eyes) and he sounded HORRIBLE!! So I called my boss and told him I wouldn't be in today. So this means I have to work tomorrow, if they are well enough to go to school. Tomorrow is a half-day of school so it doesn't really matter, but I do need to go to work!

This time off finds me freezing in this old house (built in the 70s) with horrible drafts. My baseboard heat is no match for these temps and wind! They are all on high but I am still freezing, and I have on a tank top, a t shirt, and a sweatshirt!

I am also planning my holiday cookies from my new book, Better Homes and Gardens The Ultimate Cookie Book, that I got from having a House Party Cookie Swap. So, I thought I'd share a recipe or two here.

Here's one that I am planning on making:
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds
Prep: 30 min Bake: 10 min per batch oven: 375 degrees F makes: about 48 cookies

3/4 c. Butter, softened
1/2 c. Peanut butter
1 c. Granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/4 c. All-purpose flour
2 c. Rolled oats
1 c. Chopped cocktail peanuts or semisweet chocolate pieces (I am going to use the chocolate in ours!)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining fliur. Stir in oats and peanuts/chocolate pieces.

2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

I have never made fudge and this book also has an easy fudge recipe. Here it is:

Fabulous 5 minute fudge

Prep: 5 min. Chill: 30 min. Makes: 24 pieces

(These are great as gifts! I think I may make double to pass some out!)

1 12 oz. Package of semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
2/3 c. Sweetened condensed milk (one-half of a 14-ounce can)
1 TBS. Water
3/4 c. Chopped walnuts, if desired
1 tsp. Vanilla

1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate pieces, sweetened condensed milk, and the water.

2. Microwave, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 1 minute more or until mixture is smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour onto the prepared cookie sheet and spread into a 9X6-inch rectangle. Chill about 30 minutes or until firm. Cut fudge into 1 1/2-inch squares.

Note: store candy as directed on p. 16. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Easy peasy right?

Well I am off to the store to grab eggs, brown sugar, and a few other things for my cookie making.
Might be back later to share a few more recipes! (Wish I could share pics!! Why Blogger, why?!)

Blessings,
Angie

Bookmark and Share
Email this post


0 comments: to “ Update on sick kids and sharing some cookie recipes

Swagbucks Search & Win!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs

ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd ss_blog_claim=c5b78f2c6d1f14f09edbe95bb62c5dbd